Postural Care, Independence and Wheelchair
Based in: Oxfordshire
Clients: East and West Midlands and South England
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- British Association of brain injury case managers (BABICM)
- Member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists and College of Occupational Therapists
- Professional Member
- Specialist Section Independent Practice Member
- Health and Care Professional Council
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy at the Brunel University
- Post graduate Certificate in Postural Management with People with complex needs
Yana has experience in the following:
- Assessing complex disability with clients that have sustained a brain or spinal injury and adopting a client centred, biomechanical approach when recommending 24-hour Postural management support, such as wheelchairs, night-time positioning and other seats for function and relaxation together with other interventions to enhance function and participation.
- Advice on activities for children with complex physical and sensory needs to enhance their development, function and independence.
- Specialist in custom or bespoke seating and other 24-hour Postural Management equipment such as night time support and seats to enhance function or for relaxation.
- Assessment and recommendations in assistive technology in terms of controls to operate powered wheelchairs, electronic devices such as iPad and computers and environmental controls.
- Feeding assessments to enhance function.
Since graduating from Brunel University in 1998, Yana has worked in a variety of settings and utilises skills developed throughout her career working in community and clinical settings, with both children and adults with a wide range of disabilities, to provide a holistic and clients’ needs-led service. Having worked in many leading centres of excellence, such as Oxford Centre for Enablement, Royal Hospital of Neuro disability and Penhurst School for children with profound disabilities, Yana has dedicated most of her working career to working with clients with complex physical disabilities, specializing in neurology and in particular brain and spinal injury.
Yana is based in Oxfordshire and now works in association with CCMS Ltd as an Occupational Therapist who is highly specialised in 24-hour postural care, wheelchairs, seating, sleep positioning.
Yana is passionate about postural care. Through her extensive experience, she has learnt how vital postural care is that promotes a stable and functional sitting posture to those clients with neurological and other conditions as it improves function of their upper limbs and head control thus enabling her clients to maximise their functional potential in their activities of daily living whilst future safeguarding their posture by controlling muscle tone imbalances. Suitable postural care also reduces the risk of the secondary complications associated with a ‘poor posture’ from developing such as postural asymmetry, muscle contractures, spinal and joint deformities, feeding and respiratory difficulties. All of which result in increased input (and costs) in terms of care, equipment, medical and therapeutic input.
In addition, Yana also works part-time as an Occupational Therapist for Children’s Services in Oxford City for the NHS and has been instrumental in training the multi-disciplinary team in the management of complex disability.
Yana is married with two young children, aged 8 years and 10 years, one of which has spinal and sensory issues. They both keep her busy; they love singing, music, craft activities, the outdoors and she says, “… makes life so enjoyable.”
Prior to children, Yana loved travelling abroad and experiencing different cultures. She now enjoys travelling throughout the UK with her family in their T4 campervan and also attends various festivals too!
Yana loves being with people and therefore family and friendships are very important to her. She applies this ethic to her working role to enable a compassionate and conscientious approach.