Senior Case Manager
Based in: Warwickshire
Clients: Clients in the United Kingdom, Eire, Europe and the Middle East
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- 2015 Qualified People Handler and Risk Assessor
- 2009 Palliative Care Course at Kings College London
- 2008 Expert Witness training, including in the responsibilities of the single joint expert, Bond Solon Training
- 2005 Extended Nurse Prescribing Course, Coventry University
- 2004 NVQ level 5 in Operational Management 2003 Bachelor of Science Honours Degree, Coventry University 2002 Family Planning, Sexual Health and Cytology, University of Central England 2000 Diploma in Nursing (Distinction)
- 2000 ENB 998 Teaching and Assessing qualification
- 1979 Registered General Nurse, Mansfield School of Nursing
- 1975 Orthopaedic Nursing Certificate, Harlow Wood Orthopaedic Hospital, Nottingham.
Kathy is a member of The Royal College of Nursing, The British Association of Brain Injury Case Managers and the Tissue Viability Society. Kathy read relevant professional and research literature and attend conferences, seminars and training events to keep herself updated in her professional field.
Kathy has experience in caring for patients and clients in hospitals, community nursing, nursing homes, military hospitals overseas and a specialist residential college for the disabled. This experience includes ten years' experience working in the Middle East as a Head Nurse and Orthopaedic Nursing Sister caring for patients who had sustained severe neurological and orthopaedic injuries, including brain and spinal injuries.
Working overseas has given Kathy the opportunity to experience differing cultures and expectations, which has been invaluable working with the Asian community in the United Kingdom. Kathy has experience of managing the following:
- Spinal injuries all levels. (Paediatric and Adult).
- Traumatic Brain injury (Paediatric and Adult) to include Walking Wounded / High Level Physical Functional Difficulties /Cognitive difficulties /Vegetative state / Minimal Awareness.
- Cerebral Palsy. (Paediatric and Adult)
- Respiratory diseases / Mesothelioma / COAD / Pulmonary Embolism /Carcinoma.
- Tracheostomy / Ventilated clients.
- Learning disabilities. (Paediatric and Adult)
- Elderly care to include Dementia.
- Palliative Care.
- Orthopaedic Injuries. (Paediatric and Adult)
- Complex compartmental syndrome.
- Amputees. (Paediatric and Adult)
For six years Kathy was employed as Clinical Advisor and Nursing Manager at Hereward College in Coventry. Hereward College is a nationally recognised specialist, residential college for students with varying disabilities including cerebral palsy, spina bifida and acquired brain and spinal injuries. This knowledge has equipped her with the expertise to oversee case management of cerebral palsy clients and other acquired disabilities and injuries.
The practical experience Kathy has gained over the years is invaluable in making assessments of care in community settings. Other responsibilities have previously included working as a Nurse Manager and Acting Operation Manager, which gave Kathy the opportunity to gain experience in recruiting, training staff and other Human Resource responsibilities, which are essential attributes for recruiting staff in her role as a Case Manager.
Kathy undertakes case management work, negligence and personal injury claims and has been instructed as an expert by claimants and defendants. She has been involved with AVMA (Action for the Victims of Medical Accidents), and was an invited speaker at a symposium in London to speak to members of the legal and medical profession on negligence in nursing.
During the last ten years working as a fulltime Care Consultant and Case Manager, Kathy has undertaken care assessments on behalf of personal injury lawyers for clients living in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Gibraltar, Spain, Republic of Ireland, Germany, Kuwait, Tunisia and Poland. She has provided advice on care requirements as a result of trauma, occupational diseases and medico/nursing negligence. Kathy has also been instructed to advise on Court of Protection cases in the UK.
Kathy has extensive experience assessing clients for their aids and equipment requirements and accommodation needs. During her experience as a case manager, she has had the responsibility for the procurement of pressure-relieving mattresses, beds, hoists, vehicles and mobility scooters, as well as a wide variety of other aids and equipment for the disabled.
Kathy enjoys spending time with family, travelling and participating in many sporting including playing golf, tennis, cycling and skiing. More recently Kathy has accompanied a group of disabled skiers to France in 2015 with the charity, Silver Lining.
Later in 2016, she will be cycling 350km from Vietnam to Cambodia to raise funds for the charity Silver Lining.