Based in: Warwickshire
Clients: In and around the Midlands, South East and South West
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Registered General Nurse - Adult RN1 Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) - Revalidated July 2018
- BSc (1st Class Honours) in Gerontological Nursing with Royal College of Nursing (RCN) Distance Learning
- Diploma in Mentoring and Assessing in the Clinical Setting with Coventry University
- Diploma in Professional Studies in Nursing with Coventry University
- Full membership of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
Bernadette’s speciality areas are:
- Brain Injury
- Elderly Care
- Discharge Planning
Bernadette has experience in the following:
- Resettlement/discharge planning of brain injured adults, including adults with varying degrees of prolonged disorders of consciousness, and adults with various neurological conditions.
- Management of a dedicated Stroke Rehabilitation Unit.
- Management of a GP led Elderly Care Rehabilitation Unit.
- Familiar with working closely with multidisciplinary teams, commissioners of services, community and voluntary sectors, housing departments, health equipment suppliers.
- Familiar with Continuing Health Care (CHC) policies and procedures.
During Bernadette’s career, she has developed excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Her most recent role focused on resettlement back into the community of adults with a wide range of neurological conditions and brain injuries of varying degrees, all with complex needs, ensuring risks were reduced and on-going identified needs were fully met. She has a clear understanding of the roles of the different members of the multidisciplinary team in promoting rehabilitation of the client and in ensuring the client and family are supported throughout. Bernadette recognises the importance of effective communication between professionals and the client and family. She has also gained considerable nursing management experience both on a dedicated Stroke Unit and also an elderly rehabilitation GP led unit, being the clinical lead on assessment of care needs and safe, effective delivery of care.
Bernadette is a member of the British Association of Brain Injury Case Managers (BABICM) and the Case Management Society UK (CMSUK). She attends regular training events, conferences and seminars in order to keep up to date with changes within litigation and case management. She has completed a number of quantum care reports which have provided her with valuable insight into the litigation process.
Bernadette enjoys spending time with her family. She has seven grandchildren, one of whom has a rare genetic syndrome with consequent special needs, and as a family they help support with managing these.
Bernadette visits London and the theatre as much as she can and is an avid reader. She also keeps fit by visiting her local gym and takes walks in the local countryside. She loves to travel and regularly visits her family in New York.