Manual Handling Specialist OT
Based in: Hampshire
Clients: Central Southern England
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- College of Occupational Therapy – Full professional Member BT0238699
- Health Professions Council Registration – OT59781
- National Back Exchange Professional Member 5081
- National Association of Equipment Providers Individual member 950
- Edge Services People Handling & Risk Assessment Key Trainers Certificate
- Advanced Practitioner – Ergonomics systems approach to complex risk assessment in health & social care
Gill has ten years’ experience in the profession as a community occupational therapist, assistant team manager, specialist clinical advisor and moving and handling advisor. She has worked with adults and children in the community with a wide range of health conditions. Gill has experience of the following:
- Initial assessment and development of occupational therapy interventions
- Reduced/Single-handed care management
- Moving and handling risk assessment
- Moving and handling training
- Bariatric moving and handling training
- Complex seating
- Organising and leading reablement service
- Reablement and goal setting
- Staff recruitment
- Providing supervision, coaching and mentoring to professional staff and support workers
- Liaising with other health professionals and care providers
- Case conferences
- Supporting other professionals with complex cases
The following are some of the health conditions that Gill has experience in:
- Brain injury (including stroke & TIAs)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal injuries
- Fibromyalgia/chronic widespread pain
- Heart conditions
- Cerebral palsy
- Palliative care
- Elderly care
- Learning disability
- Mental Health
Gill has wide experience of simple and complex equipment, has been involved in equipment review groups and equipment evaluations. She also has experience in minor and major adaptations, and in completing reports under the Disabled Facilities Grant Legislation. She has assisted in organising a successful county-wide conference and has been the main speaker at conference and single-handed care summits, as well as facilitating workshops at a national conference.
Gill holds HCPC registration, is a member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists, the National Back Exchange and the National Association of Equipment Providers.
Gill lives with her long-term partner in a small cottage in a very quiet rural location. She has travelled extensively overland by motorcycle through Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia, and continues to enjoy motorcycle related activities as well as attending regular classic events throughout the country. She also supports her partner’s classic motorcycle restoration business. Gill also has an old VW bay window campervan which she assisted in restoring over a three-year period and has enjoyed many holidays in the UK and Europe in it. She also has a classic VW beetle.
She has her own woodwork shed in which she makes a range of models and is learning to use a woodturning lathe.
Gill demonstrates patience, empathy and good problem-solving skills when working with classic vehicles and is able to transfer these skills to her working role to enable successful outcomes for her clients.