Case Manager and Neuro Physiotherapist
Based in: West Midlands
Clients: the Midlands and surrounding areas
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of CSP
- HCPC registered: PH72717
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy 2:1 2005 at University of Birmingham
- MSc Neurological Physiotherapy Distinction 2012 at Coventry University
- Saebo upper limb rehab training 2014
- Posture Management of the complex disabled person 2013
- Basic Bobath trained 2010
- Accredited Foundation Programme in Aquatic Therapy 2010
- A safer people handling risk assessment course at ROSPA 2014
- Tracheostomy care and management 2017
- Injection therapy (Neurology) 10-week course accompanied by six-month mentored practice in spasticity management 2016
- Respiratory update training 2017
Since graduating from the University of Birmingham with a 2:1 honours degree in 2005, Shawab has worked in a range of different health care settings to develop a comprehensive understanding of the patient’s journey from ITU care to reintegration into the community. Shawab started his career at Leicester University Hospitals as a rotational physiotherapist. Shawab then progressed to a specialist neuro physiotherapist role based in the community. More recently, Shawab has worked as a clinical specialist neuro physiotherapist in a specialist neuro rehab unit for adults with catastrophic brain injuries.
Shawab works with community case management services as a treating physiotherapist, case manager and a manual handling trainer. Shawab has undertaken the comprehensive case management pathway training.
Shawab has gained invaluable experience in assessing and managing clients who have:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Patients in an altered state of consciousness
- Patients with tracheostomies
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spinal cord injuries
- Motor neurone disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Various peripheral neuropathies and muscular dystrophies
Shawab has a proven ability to develop specific rehabilitation programmes to enable clients to reach their optimal rehabilitation outcomes through the use of client centred SMART goals. Shawab is competent in coordinating a multidisciplinary team to meet the client’s holistic needs, including care needs, therapy needs and vocational rehabilitation. Shawab has a good knowledge of the range of services accessible through local authority settings, NHS and the private sector to enable the most efficient and cost-effective rehabilitation package for the client.
Shawab is able to establish effective therapeutic relationships with the client and their relatives thereby creating an environment in which the client and family are fully informed and compliant with their rehabilitation and care programmes.
Through working as a clinical specialist physiotherapist, Shawab has significant experience in:
- Planning, co-ordinating and evaluating interventions for individuals with complex disabilities
- Supporting families in crises
- Undertaking rehabilitation assessments
- Organising a package of care post discharge
Shawab is able to speak several languages including Hindi, Mirpuri, Punjabi and Urdu.
Shawab is married with two young children who he says keeps him busy and makes life enjoyable. He also enjoys keeping fit and playing cricket in his leisure time. Shawab has a particular interest in martial arts and meditation which he also teaches.