Based in: Warwickshire
Clients: West Midlands and North England
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Registered Occupational Therapist with Health & Care Professions Council PIN: OT08220
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy
- Master of Science degree in Neurological Occupational Therapy
- Membership of British Association of Occupational Therapists RCOT No: BT0020645
- Member of RCOT Specialist Section of Neurological Practitioners No: N0087
- Member of RCOT Specialist Section of Independent Practitioners (RCOTSS- IP) No: 6758
Barbara is experienced in managing the rehabilitation of adults with:
- Acquired neurological conditions including traumatic brain injury
- Wide range of cognitive disability ranging from the “walking wounded” / high level cognitive dysfunction to minimal awareness
- Wide range of physical disability often associated with adults who have suffered a traumatic brain injury or other neurological conditions
- Neurological conditions of the upper limbs
- Complex conditions in elderly care and functional management in community
- Lower limb amputations
- Complex orthopaedic injuries
- Psychiatric conditions
- Adults who want to return to work, education and / or resume life roles following major life changing conditions
In addition, Barbara is experienced in:
- Assessment and provision of specialist equipment and home adaptations to enable the client to live independently
- Assessment of adults with complex moving and handling requirements and provision of equipment to reduce the burden of care
Barbara qualified as an Occupational Therapist in 1976 and has worked within the NHS and private sector since this time. She is committed to continual professional development and has gained additional clinical and educationally-based accredited qualifications throughout her extensive career.
Barbara has worked as an Occupational Therapist in a variety of settings including orthopaedics, general medicine, surgery, mental health and neurology. She has specialised in the rehabilitation of adults with acquired neurological conditions including Stroke, Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis and Traumatic Brain Injury. Barbara has gained particular experience in the assessment and client-centred management of adults who are living with complex neurological conditions in the community.
Barbara has worked as a Case Manager for ten years and has assessed and managed a number of client-centred rehabilitation programmes for adults with complex conditions.
Barbara is married and lives in Warwickshire. She has two children and three grandchildren who she takes an active role with. She enjoys a variety of leisure activities and is always up for a new challenge! Barbara learnt to paddle a kayak at 40, ski down a mountain at 45, ride a horse and jump at 50 and she did a tandem ski dive at 60. Barbara takes this approach to her rehabilitation programmes so if her client wants to achieve something then she will try to find a way to make it happen.