Vocational Case Manager
Based in: Ireland
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Registered Nurse
- Post graduate cert in Risk Management
- BSc (Hons) Community Health, Specialist practitioner Occupational Health, Brunel University
- H Dip Adult Nursing, Royal Free Hospital, London
- Cert Training and Education, National University Ireland
- Member of An Bord Altranis Ireland
- Member of Nursing & Midwifery Board of Australia
Miriam has twenty-two years of international experience as a registered nurse specialising in occupational health and safety, (BSc (Hons)) OHS, cert in Education & training and a year 2 Masters in Risk Management, having already achieved a high distinction in risk management systems. She has a wide range of experience in Occupational Health, managing complex vocational cases, return to work, rehabilitation, accident Investigation, and preventative measures into the cause of work place accidents.
Miriam has nursed in both private and public hospitals in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand in Rail, Insurance (Health & Travel) Corporate, Food Manufacturing, Information technology & consultancy services. She has also worked extensively in hospitals throughout her career working in accident and emergency, outpatients, medical and surgical wards, neurosurgical, orthopaedics, medical and surgical wards and then also senior staff nurse in the plastic and burns unit. Miriam has since specialised in occupational health, working in industry and also has a comprehensive understanding of the litigation process and duties.
Miriam has managed hundreds of workers’ compensation claims including case managing complex work claims, documentation, injury management and rehabilitation working with several external agencies, including insurance, Work Safe, Allied Health Professional, managing large amount of (>2,500). These include:
- Pre-employment screening
- Fitness to work assessments
- Life insurance assessments
- Return to work planning
- Drug and Alcohol programmes
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Risk Management and Hazard Identification
- Travel health
- Health Surveillance
- Policy & procedure development, delivery and implementation including regulatory and compliance
- Vocational Case Management
Miriam’s other areas of expertise and experience include:
- Project managed a Safe Handling Project ‘SMART’ to educate and train employees on injury prevention and improved patient comfort and quality of care to comply with best practice accident investigation, follow up and corrective actions, problem solving and report writing.
- Led successful completion of ISO 9001, 4801 Audits. Advising on changes and legislative requirements.
- Risk management and hazard identification, safety planning for new projects.
- Dealing with unions, internal staff and external customers in a friendly, professional manner to ensure a safe working environment.
- Training new staff, new legislative changes to existing staff and introduction of Health Promotion Programs.
- Worked as a part of a risk management team to strategically combat, educate and prevent a food contamination crisis.
- Project managed for Pandemic Planning for Avian Flu for eleven hospitals in New Zealand, including planning and training. The same plan was revised and used for swine flu.
- Ergonomic assessments, co-ordinated first aiders and fire wardens, policy development, procedure writing, reviewing, implementing and training.
- Stress management programme and employee assistance programme.
Miriam has travelled to many countries and loves meeting new people. She has excellent communication skills, loves public speaking and has a passion for teaching and sharing knowledge. Miriam loves animals, hill walking and yoga.